off the hook
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic) Relieved of a duty, burden, responsibility, or pressure.
- When the boss assigned the project to Tom, the rest of us were relieved to be off the hook.
- Without any evidence, the police had to let the suspect off the hook.
- Of a telephone, having an open connection; not hung up.
- I think he left the phone off the hook so that nobody would call him.
- Of a telephone, ringing frequently.
- The phone was ringing off the hook all night.
- (idiomatic, informal, sports) Performing extraordinarily well.
- That's five three-pointers in a row! Smith is off the hook!
- (idiomatic, informal, slang) Fresh, cool, trendy, excellent.
- That party was off the hook!