Jump to navigation Jump to search
offbeat (plural offbeats)
- (music) The beats not normally accented in a measure.
- The congregation clapped along on the offbeat.
- (slang) An unconventional person, someone who does not follow the beat, who chooses not to conform.
- Synonyms: oddball, free spirit, heteroclite, individualist, nonconformist; see also Thesaurus:maverick, Thesaurus:strange person
- 1977, Dorsett, Lyle W., The Queen City: A History of Denver:
- No one dignified such offbeats by responding to their outcries. Today, the "knockers of progress" have become a force that cannot be ignored.
- 2001, Yoder, Andrew, Pirate Radio Stations:
- In addition to creating a web of stories that will be passed through many generations, these offbeats usually strengthen the fiber of their particular hobby […]
the beat not normally accented
- Unusual; unconventional; not ordinary.
- He has such an offbeat sense of humor that hardly anyone finds his jokes amusing.
unusual, unconventional, not ordinary