Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Burdensome or difficult to bear.
- The oppressive tax laws made it difficult to start a small company.
- Tyrannical or exercising unjust power.
- The oppressive land-owners kept a grip on the labourers.
- Weighing heavily on the spirit; intense, or overwhelming
- Will the oppressive heat of summer never end?
- Hot and humid of the weather.
tyrannical or exercising unjust power
overpowering or overwhelming
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked