Jump to navigation Jump to search
overshoot (plural overshoots)
- (uncountable) The amount by which something goes too far.
- Let's see if we can predict and correct for the overshoot.
- (countable, ecology) When the population of a species exceeds its environment's carrying capacity.
- To go past something; to go too far.
- When you drive, you must remember to not overshoot the parking space and end up with two wheels over the line.
- To shoot beyond; to shoot too far to hit something.
- not to overshoot his game
- To pass swiftly over; to fly beyond.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Hartle to this entry?)
- (figuratively) To exceed.
- to overshoot the truth
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Cowper to this entry?)
- (reflexive) To venture too far; to overreach (oneself).