Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK, General American) IPA(key): /ˈpæs.taɪm/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈpɑːs.taɪm/
pastime (plural pastimes)
- Something which amuses, and serves to make time pass agreeably.
- 1776, Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations:
- Hunting and fishing, the most important employments of mankind in the rude state of society, become in its advanced state their most agreeable amusements, and they pursue for pleasure what they once followed from necessity. In the advanced state of society, therefore, they are all very poor people who follow as a trade what other people pursue as a pastime.
that which amuses
- “pastime”, in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, Springfield, Mass.: G. & C. Merriam, 1913, →OCLC.