Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
pastime (plural pastimes)
- That which amuses, and serves to make time pass agreeably; sport; amusement; diversion; games.
- Chatting is a pleasant pastime.
1776, Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations:
- Hunting and fishing, the most important employments of mankind in the rude state of society, become in its advanced state their most agreeable amusements, and they pursue for pleasure what they once followed from necessity. In the advanced state of society, therefore, they are all very poor people who follow as a trade what other people pursue as a pastime.
- 1977, Agatha Christie, An Autobiography, Part I, chapter4:
- An indulgent playmate, Grannie would lay aside the long scratchy-looking letter she was writing (heavily crossed ‘to save notepaper’) and enter into the delightful pastime of ‘a chicken from Mr Whiteley's’.
that which amuses