pinwheel (plural pinwheels)
- An artificial flower with a stem, usually plastic, for children: the flower spins round in the wind, like a small paper windmill.
- A firework which forms a kind of spinning wheel.
- A cogged (toothed) gear.
- A pastry which resembles the artificial flowers above, with some filling or topping in the center.
- Any food product consisting of layers (for example of pastry and sweet filling, or of bread and meat) rolled into a spiral, visually similar to a cinnamon roll.
fake flower for children
- To spin.
- The damaged fighter jet pinwheeled out of control, the g forces pushing the pilot so hard he couldn't reach the ejection switch.
2012 September 23, John Branch, “Snow Fall : The Avalanche at Tunnel Creek”, in New York Time:
- The laws of physics and chemistry transform a meadow of fine powder into a wreckage of icy chunks. Saugstad’s pinwheeling body would freeze into whatever position it was in the moment the snow stopped.