Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /saɪˈkəʊsɪs/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (General American) IPA(key): /saɪˈkoʊsɪs/
- Rhymes: -əʊsɪs
- Homophone: sycosis
- Hyphenation: psych‧o‧sis
- (psychology) A severe mental disorder, sometimes with physical damage to the brain, marked by a deranged personality and a distorted view of reality.
- 2014 April 21, “Subtle effects”, in The Economist, volume 411, number 8884:
- Manganism has been known about since the 19th century, when miners exposed to ores containing manganese […] began to totter, slur their speech and behave like someone inebriated. The poisoning was irreversible, and soon ended in psychosis and death.