Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA(key): /pɔːn/ or /piˈəʊn/ or /piˈɔːn/
- (US) IPA(key): /pɔn/ or /piˈoʊn/ or /piˈɔn/
Audio (US) (file)
- (Internet slang, online gaming, originally leet, transitive, intransitive) To own, to defeat or dominate (someone or something, especially a game or someone playing a game).
- 2001, Edward Glamkowski, in alt.games.diablo2 
- Otherwise I use fury as my normal attack. Fury completely pwns!
- 2003, James Grahame, in alt.games.everquest 
- When you get to the Temple of Marr, look very closely at the vases at zone-in and see if you can find the picture where Mith Marr "pwns" someone.
- 2004, Bronney Hui, in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia 
- My Trident pwns the Cirrus Logics!
- 2005, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
- NOOBZ STILL R NOT PWNED. CONTINUE PWNERSHIP UNTIL ALL NOOBZ R PWNED.
- (Internet, slang, originally leetspeak) Triumph, defeat, victory. Often exclaimed after an opponent in a video game is defeated.
- pwn in Cambridge English Dictionary
- PC Magazine Encyclopedia: Pronounced "pone," "pwen," "pawn" or "pun,"...
- “pwn”, in Dictionary.com Unabridged, Dictionary.com, LLC, 1995–.
- ^ Connie Eble, in Julie Coleman (ed.), Global English Slang: Methodologies and Perspectives (2014, ISBN 131793475X): "own/pwn (pronounced either on or pon) 'to dominate an opponent, often in a video game'"
- ^ Bonnie Nardi, My Life as a Night Elf Priest: An Anthropological Account (ISBN 0472026712), page 16: "In PvP, players enjoy “pwning” opponents, that is, defeating them, in heated contests. The term pwn (pronounced “pone”) comes from own, slang for defeat, and is said to have originated when a player mistakenly typed a “p” instead of an “o,” ..."