Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Appendix:Variations of "ro"
- ro- (Cois Fharraige)
- (with adjective) too, overly
- (with adjective) very (in a negative way)
- (with verb) over-
- (with noun) excessive
- This affix is used adverbially before adjectives to indicate excess; it is followed by a hyphen for words beginning with a vowel and triggers lenition in words beginning in a consonant:
- “2 ro (‘very’)” in Dictionary of the Irish Language, Royal Irish Academy, 1913–76.
- “1 ró (‘too much’)” in Dictionary of the Irish Language, Royal Irish Academy, 1913–76.
- “ró-” in Foclóir Gaeḋilge agus Béarla, Irish Texts Society, 1927, by Patrick S. Dinneen.
- "ró-" in Foclóir Gaeilge-Béarla, An Gúm, 1977, by Niall Ó Dónaill.