Jump to navigation Jump to search
Back-formation from broccoli rabe.
rabe (plural rabes)
- The budding shoot of a brassica that has bolted.
- 2014, Katherine Reay, Lizzy and Jane, page 254:
- Coal-roasted kale rabe, garlic and chili with pickled ginger, and caramelized ham broth. . . What more can I say?
- 2017, Joshua McFadden, Six Seasons: A New Way with Vegetables, page 313:
- Brassicas will bolt in early fall, too, […] While these skinny shoots topped with tiny clusters of florets—and eventually blooming flowers—might look rangy, […] I eat them raw in salad or I give them a quick sauté. While the flavor of a rabe echoes the plant, any spiciness or bitterness is generally softer.
- 2019, Matt Zoller Seitz, Alan Sepinwall, David Chase, The Sopranos Sessions:
- The Last of the Arugula Rabe
- 2021, Peter Hoffman, What's Good?: A Memoir in Fourteen Ingredients:
- Microgreens are examples of this desire for new life in our diet also and explain why so many chefs adorn their dishes with them. Sadly though, they are little more than eye candy. Coming from greenhouses, often hydroponically grown, they lack the true taste of life from out of doors soil. But Kenny's rabe stems are the stars on the plate, sweet and tender. I make an entire meal out of a bunch of rabe sautéed in flavorful olive oil with a lot of garlic and a liberal sprinkling of chile pepper flakes.
- Broccoli rabe.
- 2009, Matthew Kenney, Entertaining in the Raw, Gibbs Smith, →ISBN, page 70:
4 young Thai coconuts
Filling and Rabe
2 cups shiitake mushrooms, quartered
[…] 2 cups broccoli rabe, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2010, Anthony Di Renzo, Bitter Greens, page 96:
- Profiled by Sarah Di Gregorio in The Village Voice, Fratelli's is famous for its broccoli rabe specialties. A rabe hero glistens with a sheen of olive oil and comes on a soft roll, studded with golden-brown garlic cloves. A rabe-stuffed calzone steams and bursts. Penne and braised rabe somersault in a frying pan. A white pizza, topped with rabe florets, is placed on a wooden peel and shoved into a crowded oven.
- 2011, Brooke Parkhurst; James Briscione, Just Married and Cooking: 200 Recipes for Living, Eating, and Entertaining Together, Simon and Schuster, →ISBN, page 54:
- For good measure, give your plate of ricotta and rabe a final drizzle of fruity, super-high-quality extra virgin olive oil.
serves 4 to 6
1 bunch broccoli rabe
- 2013, Rachael Ray, Week in a Day, Simon and Schuster, →ISBN, page 303:
- Pork & Broccoli Rabe Ciabatta Subs with Gremolata
There are two different make-ahead strategies possible with this […] Option 2: You can cook the pork and rabe ahead and reheat on the night of (you'll need some chicken stock […]
- 2020, Charlotte Druckman, Kitchen Remix: 75 Recipes for Making the Most of Your Ingredients: A Cookbook, Clarkson Potter, →ISBN, page 78:
- Use your hands (or paper towel) to squeeze out excess water, then roughly chop. Add the rabe to the orecchiette. Add the pine nuts and stir to combine with the orecchiette and rabe.
rabe m (plural rabes)
- (informal) rest, leftovers
- Synonym: reste
- Y’a du rabe, qui en veut ? ― There's more left over, who wants some?
- “rabe”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.
rabe (Cyrillic spelling рабе)
- English back-formations
- English 1-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English countable nouns
- English terms with quotations
- French clippings
- French 1-syllable words
- French terms with IPA pronunciation
- French lemmas
- French nouns
- French countable nouns
- French masculine nouns
- French informal terms
- French terms with usage examples
- Serbo-Croatian non-lemma forms
- Serbo-Croatian verb forms