rank and file
Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: rank-and-file
- Enlisted soldiers in a military organization, as would be arrayed in a grid pattern with ranks and files.
- (idiomatic) Members of an organization who are not in leadership positions.
- The executives attend meetings in exotic locations while the rank and file stays at headquarters doing the bulk of the work.
- 2013 May 23, Sarah Lyall, "British Leader’s Liberal Turn Sets Off a Rebellion in His Party," New York Times (retrieved 29 May 2013):
- First, a prominent Tory called the party’s rank and file “swivel-eyed loons.”