Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: reconnoître
From French reconnoître (obsolete spelling of reconnaître), from Latin recognoscere (“to recognise”). There is also an obsolete 19th-century British English spelling reconnaitre, influenced by the modern French form.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌɹɛkəˈnɔɪtə/, [ˌɹʷɛkəˈnɔɪ̯tʰə]
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌɹɛkəˈnɔɪtɚ/, [ˌɹˠɛkəˈnɔɪ̯ɾɚ]
Audio (US) (file)
- (US) reconnoiter
- (transitive, intransitive, military) To perform a reconnaissance (of an area; an enemy position); to scout with the aim of gaining information.
- Our scout will reconnoitre the path ahead of our troops.
- (obsolete) To recognise.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Sir H. Walpole to this entry?)
perform a reconnaissance
reconnoitre (plural reconnoitres)
- An act or instance of reconnoitring.
- The pilot reported the findings of his reconnoitre.
instance of reconnoitring