Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- rigourous (non‐standard)
Audio (US) (file)
- Manifesting, exercising, or favoring rigour; allowing no abatement or mitigation; scrupulously accurate; exact; strict; severe; relentless; as, a rigorous officer of justice; a rigorous execution of law; a rigorous definition or demonstration.
2013 August 3, “Boundary problems”, in The Economist, volume 408, number 8847:
- Economics is a messy discipline: too fluid to be a science, too rigorous to be an art. Perhaps it is fitting that economists’ most-used metric, gross domestic product (GDP), is a tangle too. GDP measures the total value of output in an economic territory. Its apparent simplicity explains why it is scrutinised down to tenths of a percentage point every month.
- Severe; intense; inclement; as, a rigorous winter.
- See also Wikisaurus:meticulous
Manifesting, exercising, or favoring rigor; allowing no abatement or mitigation; scrupulously accurate
Severe; intense; inclement; as, a rigorous winter
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.