Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Romanize
- (transitive) to put letters or words written in another writing system into the Latin (Roman) alphabet
- (transitive, historical, usually capitalized) to bring under the authority or influence of Rome
- (transitive, intransitive, usually capitalized) to make Roman in character or style
- (transitive, intransitive, usually capitalized) to make Roman Catholic in religion (by conversion), character or style
- (transitive) to Latinize; to fill with Latin words or idioms
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Dryden to this entry?)
to transliterate to the Latin alphabet
- to Latinize
- “romanize” in the Canadian Oxford Dictionary, Second Edition, Oxford University Press, 2004.
- NOAD, 2nd ed.