Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- romanise (mainly British)
- To put letters or words written in another writing system into the Latin (Roman) alphabet.
- (historical) To bring under the authority or influence of Rome.
- To make Roman or Roman Catholic in disposition.
- To Latinize; to fill with Latin words or idioms.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Dryden to this entry?)
to transliterate to the Latin alphabet
- to Latinize
- “romanize” in the Canadian Oxford Dictionary, Second Edition, Oxford University Press, 2004.
- NOAD, 2nd ed.