Jump to navigation Jump to search
schism (plural schisms)
- A split or separation within a group or organization, typically caused by discord.
- (religion) A formal division or split within a religious body.
- The schism between Sunnis and Shias happened quite early in Islamic history.
- (Catholicism) a split within Christianity whereby a group no longer recognizes the Bishop of Rome as the head of the Church, but shares essentially the same beliefs with the Church of Rome. In other words, a political split without the introduction of heresy.
- (split, division, separation): unity
split, division, separation, discord
division within a religious body
split within Christianity
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked