- A small tree, Coccoloba uvifera, that grows on sandy beaches in tropical America; it has clusters of purple fruit.
- A leafless plant found in sandy soils along the coast and inland from southern and central Europe to central Asia, Ephedra distachya, which has edible fruit and is harvested for the ephedrine found in its green stems.
- (Europe) Any plant in the genus Ephedra, especially those native to Europe and neighboring parts of Africa and Asia.
- The gulfweed.
- The clusters of gelatinous egg capsules of a squid (Loligo).
- Any animal in the genus Molgula, bottom-dwelling sea squirts that look like peeled grapes.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
(See the entry for sea grape in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.)