Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: capsulé
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈkæps(ə)l/
- (UK, General Australian) IPA(key): /ˈkæpsjuːl/, /ˈkæpʃuːl/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
capsule (plural capsules)
- (physiology) A membranous envelope.
- (botany) A type of simple, dehiscent, dry fruit (seed-case) produced by many species of flowering plants, such as poppy, lily, orchid, willow and cotton.
- (botany) A sporangium, especially in bryophytes.
- 1992, Rudolf M[athias] Schuster, The Hepaticae and Anthocerotae of North America: East of the Hundredth Meridian, volume V, New York, N.Y.: Columbia University Press, →ISBN, pages 4-5:
- The epidermal cells of the capsule wall of Jubulopsis, with nodose "trigones" at the angles, are very reminiscent of what one finds in Frullania spp.
- (anatomy) A tough, fibrous layer surrounding an organ such as the kidney or liver
- (anatomy) A membrane that surrounds the eyeball
- (astronautics) A detachable part of a rocket or spacecraft (usually in the nose) containing the crew's living space.
- (pharmacy) A small container containing a dose of medicine.
- (attributively, figuratively) in a brief, condensed or compact form
- (winemaking) The covering — formerly lead or tin, now often plastic — over the cork at the top of the wine bottle.
- (chemistry, dated) A small clay saucer for roasting or melting samples of ores, etc.; a scorifier.
- A small, shallow evaporating dish, usually of porcelain.
- A small cup or shell, often of metal, for a percussion cap, cartridge, etc.
- One of the very small rooms for guests in a capsule hotel.
- Synonym: pod
physiology: membranous envelope
part of spacecraft containing crew's living space
small container containing a dose of medicine
weasel — see weasel
winemaking: the covering over the cork at the top of the wine bottle
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- (medicine, pharmacy) capsule (encapsulation containing drugs or supplements)
- cover over the cork and opening of a bottle
capsule f (plural capsules)
- “capsule”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.
- plural of