Jump to navigation Jump to search
setup (plural setups)
- Equipment designed for a particular purpose; an apparatus.
- The laboratory included an elaborate setup for measuring the energy.
- The fashion in which something is organized or arranged.
- The classroom setup was simple and efficient.
- 1993, Billboard, volume 105, number 21, page 106:
- Shapiro says KYW would keep two separate news staffs that would work together, similar to WBZ's setup.
- 25 November 2022, Jonathan Tannenwald, “U.S. dominates England for long stretches, but plays to 0-0 tie at World Cup”, in The Philadeplhia Inquirer:
- For some stretches, Berhalter’s usual 4-3-3 setup played more as a 4-4-2, with Tim Weah pushing up alongside Wright and McKennie moving to the right side.
- A situation orchestrated to frame someone; a covert effort to place the blame on somebody.
- Trust me, that was a setup!
- (computing) An installer.
- 1995 August 28, InfoWorld, page 80:
- You still have to run the setup and select the display driver after restarting Windows. Installing Windows NT drivers was tedious (but we could back up system files), and OS/2 was tiresome; […]
- (operations) The process of arranging resources for performing a specific operation, as a run of a particular product.
- A simple setup on the bottling line involves reloading bottles and labels; emptying, cleaning, and reloading the tanks; and a test run.
- (hydrology) The tendency of persistent wind to produce higher water levels at the downwind shore of a body of water and lower at the upwind shore.
- There was a strong wind setup at the south end of the lake after a day of northerly gales.
- (boxing) A move or set of moves which are meant to draw out a reaction which leaves an exploitable opening in defense.
- The jab is most commonly used as a setup for other strikes.
- (equipment): apparatus
- (the fashion in which something is organized or arranged): configuration, layout
- (situation orchestrated to frame someone): frameup, stitch-up
- set up, the adjective and verb
Equipment designed for a particular purpose; an apparatus
The fashion in which something is organized or arranged
situation orchestrated to frame someone
computing: an installer
- Misspelling of .
- (cook) the cooking of simmering.
- “setup” in Kamus Besar Bahasa Indonesia, Jakarta: Language Development and Fostering Agency — Ministry of Education, Culture, Research, and Technology of the Republic Indonesia, 2016.