Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: shut down
shutdown (plural shutdowns)
- The action of stopping operations; a closing, of a computer, business, event, etc.
- You need to enter your password at startup, but it's not required at shutdown.
- A statement, insult, etc. that prevents the opponent from replying further.
- When he insulted me, my reply was such a shutdown that he left the room.
- An autistic response to stress, etc. where the individual becomes silent and motionless.
action of closing
reciprocation that renders the other person wordless