Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (clinical psychology) Pervasive neurological disorder that is observable in early childhood and persists throughout the lifespan, characterised by atypical communication, language development, eye contact, and sensory experiences.
2013 June 29, “A punch in the gut”, in The Economist, volume 407, number 8842, page 72-3:
- Mostly, the microbiome is beneficial. It helps with digestion and enables people to extract a lot more calories from their food than would otherwise be possible. Research over the past few years, however, has implicated it in diseases from atherosclerosis to asthma to autism.
- (clinical psychology) Synonym of (disorder); generalization of the specific to a range
- (historical, clinical psychology, now medically obsolete) Diagnosis involving a pathological tendency to engage in self-centered fantasy thinking, historically considered a symptom of insanity and/or schizophrenia.
- (autism spectrum): autistic spectrum
- Asperger syndrome / Asperger's syndrome / Asperger's / Asperger
- autism (the specific, instead of the generalized form)
(the specific, instead of the generalized range):
- autism (the generalized range, instead of the specific)
- autism spectrum
- autistic spectrum
- autism spectrum disorder
- autistic spectrum disorder
- pervasive developmental disorder (PDD), PDD-NOS
- disability, handicap
- mutism, selective mutism
- special education