Jump to navigation Jump to search
- insane + -ity: insānus (“unhealthy; insane”) + -itās
- in- + sanity: in- (“lacking; without”) + sanitās (“health; sanity”)
- The state of being insane; madness.
- The defendant pleaded insanity in the hope of getting a reduced sentence.
- 1837, Letitia Elizabeth Landon, Ethel Churchill, volume 3, page 271:
- But the bed-side of Lady Marchmont had a darker lesson than the grave, the ravings of insanity revealed the fiery world of that beating and passionate heart. Ethel could only feel too fearful, too humbled, for judgment; but she wept, even while she prayed, beside her early friend.
- See also Thesaurus:insanity
state of being insane