Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
signet (plural signets)
- an object (especially a ring) formerly used to impress a picture into the sealing wax of a document as a proof of its origin
- c.1600: William Shakespeare, Hamlet - I had my father's signet in my purse, / Which was the model of that Danish seal;
- Wikipedia article on Seal (device)
signet m (plural signets)
- bookmark (strip used to mark a place in a book)
- “signet” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).