Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈslɪŋʃɒt/
Audio (AU) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɪŋʃɒt
- Hyphenation: sling‧shot
slingshot (plural slingshots)
- (chiefly US) A Y-shaped stick with an elastic sling between the arms used for shooting small projectiles.
- (pinball) A stationary, often triangular object that launches any ball that hits its longest side back at a high force, now usually located above the flipper and between it and the inlane, with one each for both lower flippers.
- A sling bikini.
- (powerlifting) An implement of a broad fabric worn around and connecting both bicipites brachii to support benching the most heavy weights.
- Hypernym: elastic band
- (stick with elastic band for shooting projectiles): bean shooter, catapult (UK), flip, hand catapult, shanghai (Australia and New Zealand)
Y-shaped stick with an elastic sling between the arms used for shooting small projectiles — See also translations at sling
- To move or cause to move in a manner resembling a projectile shot from a slingshot.
- (especially) To use the gravity of a moving planet to add momentum to a spacecraft.
- The shuttle will slingshot around Jupiter on its way to Saturn.