Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Splitting
splitting (plural splittings)
- An instance where something splits.
- (psychology) A division in the mind, or affecting one's sense of self.
- 2007, Brett Kahr, Sex and the Psyche, Penguin, published 2008, page 308:
- In other words, something troubling, such as being discovered in the toilets in a shaming way, can be both remembered and also pushed to the periphery of consciousness, a process that psychotherapists refer to as ‘splitting’.
- (chemistry) The cleavage of a covalent bond.
- → German: Splitting
- Resembling the sound of something being split or ripped.
- Very rapid.
- They moved at a splitting pace.
- Severely painful.
- I have a splitting headache.