Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈkliːvɪdʒ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈklivɪdʒ/
- Hyphenation: cleav‧age
cleavage (plural cleavages)
- The act of cleaving or the state of being cleft. [from 19th c.]
- The hollow or separation between a woman's breasts, especially as revealed by a low neckline. [from 20th c.]
1946 August 5, “Cinema: Cleavage and the Code”, in Time:
- Low-cut Restoration costumes worn by the Misses Lockwood and Roc (see cut) display too much "cleavage" (Johnston Office trade term for the shadowed depression dividing an actress' bosom into two distinct sections).
- (by extension) Any similar separation between two body parts, such as the buttocks or toes.
- (biology) The repeated division of a cell into daughter cells after mitosis. [from 19th c.]
- (chemistry) The splitting of a large molecule into smaller ones.
- (mineralogy) The tendency of a crystal to split along specific planes. [from 19th c.]
- (politics) The division of voters into voting blocs.
- (separation between breasts): intermammary sulcus
the act of cleaving or the state of being cleft
separation between breasts
biology: cell division
chemistry: splitting of a large molecule
mineralogy: tendency of a crystal to split
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.