Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
stymie (plural stymies)
- An obstacle or obstruction.
- (golf) A situation where an opponent's ball is directly in the way of one's own ball and the hole, on the putting green (abolished 1952).
- To thwart or stump; to cause to fail or to leave hopelessly puzzled, confused, or stuck.
- They had lost the key, and the lock stymied the first three locksmiths they called.
2007 January 21, Joyce Cohen, “Beauty in the Eye of the Renter”, in New York Times:
- I was making such a drama in my head it was stymieing me.
- (golf) To bring into the position of, or impede by, a stymie.
to thwart or stump