Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
stymie (plural stymies)
- An obstacle or obstruction.
- (golf) A situation where an opponent's ball is directly in the way of one's own ball and the hole, on the putting green.
- To thwart or stump; to cause to fail or to leave hopelessly puzzled, confused, or stuck.
- They had lost the key, and the lock stymied the first three locksmiths they called.
2007 January 21, Joyce Cohen, “Beauty in the Eye of the Renter”, New York Times:
- I was making such a drama in my head it was stymieing me.
- (golf) To bring into the position of, or impede by, a stymie.
to thwart or stump