Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- In a way that causes surprise because it is unexpected, or unusual.
- The house was surprisingly small for such a numerous family.
- Not surprisingly, the electrician didn't come at the time he had said.
2012 April 23, Angelique Chrisafis, “François Hollande on top but far right scores record result in French election”, in the Guardian:
- François Hollande has moved a step closer to becoming the first Socialist president of France in a generation by beating the incumbent, Nicolas Sarkozy, in the first round of elections. But the surprisingly high vote for the extreme-right candidate, Marine Le Pen, boosted the overall figures for the right and meant that the final runoff vote on 6 May remains on a knife edge.
- This adverb is more often used to modify an adjective than a verb