Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: sweet bread
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈswiːtbɹɛd/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈswitˌbɹɛd/
Audio (GA) (file)
- Hyphenation: sweet‧bread
sweetbread (plural sweetbreads)
- The pancreas or thymus gland of an animal, especially a lamb or calf, as food.
- 2019, Bill Bryson, The Body: A Guide for Occupants, Black Swan (2020), page 177:
- The pancreas of an animal when cooked for consumption is known as a sweetbread.
- (pancreas): belly sweetbread, gutbread, heart sweetbread, stomach sweetbread
- (thymus gland): gullet sweetbread, neck sweetbread, throat sweetbread
pancreas or thymus gland of an animal as food
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.