Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (uncountable) A genre of painting that exploits human vision to create the illusion that the subject of the painting is real.
- (countable) A painting of this kind.
- This phrase is sometimes misconstructed as trompe d’œil and trompe-d’œil, which, literally interpreted in French, means “deceives of eye”.
- In French, trompe-l’œil is an invariant noun; the same usage is reflected in the plural use of the English trompe l’oeil. Alternatively, trompe l’oeil is treated as a headless noun phrase, to which is suffixed -s to form a regular plural form. Still otherwise, some authors form novel plurals on modified etymological bases, such as the technically correct trompent-l’œil (“[they] deceive the eye”) and the ultimately mistaken trompe les yeux (“deceives the eyes”); however, such neologistic constructions are vanishingly rare.
genre of still life painting
- “Oxford English Dictionary [2nd Ed.; 1989] ” listed in the