Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (sometimes postpositive) Not known; unidentified; not well known.
1898, Winston Churchill, chapter 4, in The Celebrity:
- The Celebrity, by arts unknown, induced Mrs. Judge Short and two other ladies to call at Mohair on an afternoon when Mr. Cooke was trying a trotter on the track. The three returned wondering and charmed with Mrs. Cooke; they were sure she had had no hand in the furnishing of that atrocious house.
unknown (plural unknowns)
- (algebra) A variable (usually x, y or z) whose value is to be found.
- Any fact or place about which nothing is known (as in the phrase "into the unknown").
- A person of no identity; a nonentity
fact or place