Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈvɛəɹi.əs/
- (US, Mary–marry–merry distinction) IPA(key): /ˈvɛəɹi.əs/ (alternatively, /ˈvæɹiəs/ among careful speakers)
- (US, Mary–marry–merry merger) IPA(key): /ˈvɛɹi.əs/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (US) (file)
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɛəriəs
- More than one (of an indeterminate set of things).
- Various books have been taken.
- There are various ways to fix the problem.
- You have broken various of the rules.
various (not comparable)
- Having a broad range (of different elements).
- The reasons are various.
an eclectic range of
Most common English words before 1923: remained · bear · service · #584: various · u · gold · letters
- various in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- various in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911