Jump to navigation Jump to search
vicinage (plural vicinages)
- (now rare) A surrounding district; a neighbourhood.
- (now rare) The people of a neighbourhood.
- The state of living near something; proximity, closeness.
- 1891, Mary Noailles Murfree, In the "Stranger People's" Country, New York: Harper & Brothers, Franklin Square, page 7:
- In the few years that she had lived here, a stranger herself, in some sort—not accustomed, as was her husband, to a lifelong vicinage to the pygmy burial-ground—she had developed no receptivity to that uncanny idea of a race of dwarfs.
- (Britain, US, law) The area where a crime was committed, a trial is being held, or the community from which jurors are drawn.
- (New Jersey, law) A geographical division of the w:New Jersey Superior Court, covering one or more counties, for judicial administration and the assignment of venue to an action within the Superior Court