Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
vicinity (plural vicinities)
- Proximity, or the state of being near.
- There was a crackling sound in the vicinity of my right ear.
1898, Winston Churchill, chapter 8, in The Celebrity:
- The humor of my proposition appealed more strongly to Miss Trevor than I had looked for, and from that time forward she became her old self again; […] . Our table in the dining-room became again the abode of scintillating wit and caustic repartee, Farrar bracing up to his old standard, and the demand for seats in the vicinity rose to an animated competition.
- Neighbourhood, or the nearby region.
- There is a hurricane in the vicinity of the Bahamas.
- Approximate size or amount.
- I weigh in the vicinity of 80kg.
proximity, or the state of being near
neighbourhood, or the nearby region
approximate size or amount
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked