Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Sour; like vinegar.
- When Martha reopened the bottle of wine from the previous week's party, a vinegary whiff indicated that drinking it was out of the question.
- Cherry Jones as Nan Pierce (2023) Succession, season 4, episode 1, 42:42 from the start: “I like my wine thin and vinegary.”
- (figuratively) Acerbic, bitter.
- 1959, Anthony Burgess, Beds in the East (The Malayan Trilogy), published 1972, page 562:
- Then she remembered Jalil's disgusting behaviour of the previous evening and turned to give him vinegary words.
- Edward's maiden aunt was a vinegary old soul with a sharp tongue and quick temper; she would not be receiving a wedding invitation.
- Of a liquid, having turned partially or fully to vinegar.
- (sour, like vinegar): acerbic, acrid, sour, tart, vinegarish
- (figurative: acerbic, bitter): acerbic, bitter, nasty, sour, vitriolic
- (having turned partially or fully to vinegar):