Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- sour, like vinegar
- When Martha reopened the bottle of wine from the previous week's party, a vinegary whiff indicated that drinking it was out of the question.
- (figuratively) acerbic, bitter
- Edward's maiden aunt was a vinegary old soul with a sharp tongue and quick temper; she would not be receiving a wedding invitation.
- of a liquid, having turned partially or fully to vinegar.
- (sour, like vinegar): acerbic, acrid, sour, tart, vinegarish
- (figurative: acerbic, bitter): acerbic, bitter, nasty, sour, vitriolic
- (having turned partially or fully to vinegar):
sour like vinegar
having turned partially or fully to vinegar