Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: vög
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /vɒɡ/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (General American) enPR: väg, vôg, IPA(key): /vɑɡ/, /vɔɡ/
- Rhymes: -ɒɡ, -ɔːɡ
- Air pollution caused by substances (such as sulphur dioxide) emitted by a volcano.
- 1992, Geological-Mining Monograph of the State of Queretaro, page 82:
- […] where fluidal textures can be clearly noticed as well as abundant vogs formed by escaped gases […]
- 2004, Richard [Alan] Fortey, “Island”, in The Earth: An Intimate History, London: HarperCollins, →ISBN; Earth: An Intimate Portrait, 1st Vintage Books edition, New York, N.Y.: Vintage Books, November 2005, →ISBN, pages 42–43:
- You are permitted to inspect the current eruption [from Kiluea, Hawaii] from a safe distance. […] On humid days water vapour combines with the sulphurous emanations to produce an acrid mist known as vog.
- 2012, Joanne N. Feldman, Robert I. Tilling, “Volcanic Eruptions, Hazards, and Mitigation”, in Paul S[tuart] Auerbach, editor, Wilderness Medicine, 6th edition, Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Mosby, →ISBN, caption of figure 15.37, page 330.e1:
- The ongoing eruption of Kiluea's east rift zone (which began in 1983) has put a huge amount of natural pollutants, including sulfur oxides, into the air. Introduced vegetation, such as Kona coffee plants, can be scorched, and downwind of Kiluea, only native species, tolerant of the natural acid rain, survive. The two images compare atmospheric clarity between a volcanic-smog (vog)-free day (A) and a heavy-vog day (B).
- 2013, Karen Anderson et al., Fodor’s 2014 Hawaii, New York, N.Y.: Fodor's Travel, →ISBN:
- On the Islands, fog is a rare occurrence, but there can often be "vog," an airborne haze of gases released from volcanic vents on the Big Island. During certain weather conditions such as "Kona winds," the vog can settle over the Islands and wreak havoc with respiratory and other health conditions, especially asthma or emphysema.
- laze (lava haze)
vog (plural vogge)
declension of vog
- past of