whip + lash
whiplash (plural whiplashes)
- the lash of a whip
- an injury to the upper spine caused by a violent jerk of the head in either a backward or forward or side to side direction, resembling the motion of a whip
whiplash (third-person singular simple present whiplashes, present participle whiplashing, simple past and past participle whiplashed)
- To jerk back and forth; to buffet
2008, December 23, “Nicholas Confessore”, Resistance to Kennedy Grows among Democrats:
- […] Ms. Kennedy has been whiplashed by assertions that she is at once protected and presumptuous.
- To lash as if with a whip
1990, V.C. Andrews, My Sweet Audrina, ISBN 0671729462, page 98:
- After a while, he let go of my hand in order to protect his own face from being whiplashed by the low branches.