Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
yahrzeit (plural yahrzeits)
- (Judaism) The anniversary of a person's death, often of a parent's.
1892, “The Jews in New York--II.”, in The Century Magazine, volume 43, number 4, page 516:
- "Yahrzeit" (year's time) is the anniversary of the parent's death.
1930, Leon Spitz, “Tisha b'Ab-The Yahrzeit of Every Jew”, in The Canadian Jewish Chronicle, page 1:
- Sad to say, the Yahrzeit of every-Jew is fading away from the memory of the average Jew in America.
2002, Leon Wieseltier, “A Year Later”, in The New Republic:
- The yahrzeit is here, and the least lachrymose country on earth is devising its rituals of commemoration.
2016, Irwin Cohen, “Hank Greenberg’s 30th Yahrzeit”, in The Jewish Press:
- Let’s remember Hank Greenberg’s yahrzeit, the 30th of Av, which falls this year on Sept. 3.