Jump to navigation Jump to search
Originating and coined in the mid-2000s, but popularized by a 2014 video uploaded on Vine.
- (informal, slang, humorous) Used to express excitement or approval.
- 2014 June 11, J. Tinsley, “Now We Know Who Really Lost The Mistah Fab-DJ Mustard Fight”, in Uproxx:
- The “YEET!” sound effect with the punch at :40
- 2017 November 5, Harry Lyles Jr., “Miami players waited to surprise Mark Richt with a Gatorade bath for when they got into the locker room”, in SB Nation:
- After Richt got his shower, the Miami players surrounding him while yelling “YEET!” in unison.
- 2017 October 11, Caroline Fenkel, “The Power of an IRL Community: Creating Space for Teens to Unplug and Engage”, in U.S. News & World Report:
- Often, my teenagers would exclaim "Yeet." I am still not quite sure what it means, but I knew they liked to say it, and it was usually after something positive.
- 2018 November 19, Zachary Shevin, “U. community gathers, chants, ‘yeets’ during first bonfire since 2013”, in The Daily Princetonian:
- Towards the end of the fire, Kelling overheard the student talking to his friends about “yeeting” his “Speak Freely” into the fire... [He] ran up to the fence and threw his book toward the fire, yelling out “yeet” while he threw it.
yeet (plural yeets)
- (Internet) A type of dance with flailing arm motions, popularized by social media website Vine.
- 2014 April 8, “The 7 Different Ways You Can #Yeet”, in Cambio:
- Yeet is the new twerk and while it may look like nothing more than a full-body flail, there are some very important techniques you need to know before you embark on your own yeet adventure. Here are seven different ways you can yeet.
- 2015 June 1, David Turner, “Interview: Youtube Star SheLovesMeechie Dances from the Garage to the Stage”, in Noisey:
- Meechie's videos reach hundreds of thousands, sometimes even eclipsing the views of the artists' official visuals, but lately his biggest successes are instead dedicated to specific dances like the whip, yeet, and even the still-regional “Hit Dem Folks” dance, which mimics a basketball player dunking.
- 2015 September 22, Rembert Browne, “A Note on 'Jumpman' by Metro Boomin ft. Drake and Future”, in Grantland:
- The yeet began, culturally, with a Vine of a kid affectionately nicknamed Lil Meatball doing the dance on his school's track.
- 2016 October 27, “The Death of Vine Makes the Internet a Worse Place”, in New York Magazine:
- Especially black teens, who created a disproportionate number of popular Vines and used the social network to demonstrate wit, intelligence, creativity, and comic timing that was rarely given a spotlight elsewhere. That included dance trends like the yeet.
- To move quickly.
- 2018, Loe Swonny, Flyff Apleman, The Minecraft Toilet, page 14:
- All of a sudden he yeeted out of here [on] a dodo.
- 2019 March 19, Leah Williams, “The best part about One Piece: World Series is all the yeeting”, in The AU Review:
- [Y]our main character can yeet his way around town instead of walking...When you’re not yeeting around town at 100km/ph[sic], you’ll be traversing Jail Island, beating down baddies and ploughing through the main quest line.
- 2019 April 27, Petrana Radulovic, “What Phase 4 looks like after Avengers: Endgame”, in Polygon:
- There is also the possibility that [a series featuring Loki] takes place in the version of 2012 where Loki stole the Tesseract and yeeted off to who knows where.
- To throw an object a long distance or with a sudden or forceful motion.
- 2018 November 19, Zachary Shevin, “U. community gathers, chants, 'yeets' during first bonfire since 2013”, in The Daily Princetonian:
- Towards the end of the fire, Kelling overheard the student talking to his friends about "yeeting" his "Speak Freely" into the fire...[He] ran up to the fence and threw his book toward the fire, yelling out "yeet" while he threw it.
- 2018 December 20, Petrana Radulovic, “Hytale is a Minecraft follow-up that remembers the minigames”, in RockPaperShotgun:
- It’s the moment the troll lifts up a lump of turf and yeets it at a hero on a horse
- 2019 April 1, Joshua Gottlieb, “Andy Hoe to create 'Yeeting Zone' in Ocean for safe VK yeeting”, in The Tab:
- [A] “Yeeting Zone” is going to be established to solve the problem of dangerous VK bottle yeeting. This comes after unsuspecting Notts students have fallen victim to having bottles thrown in their face...He hopes that this new arrangement will allow clubbers to yeet their VKs, whilst ensuring that other clubbers stay safe.
- 2019 May 3, David Mello, “Tom Brady Appears on Jimmy Kimmel Live! and Yeets a Football Through Matt Damon's Window”, in Up To Boston:
- Brady gladly participated and yeeted (maybe the past tense of yeet, meaning to throw, is "yote"?) a football through Damon's window.
Conjugation of this recent neologism has not been completely determined.