From Hebrew שאול (“asked for”).
- The first king of Israel in the Old Testament
- 1611, Bible (Authorized, or King James, Version): 1 Samuel 16: 23:
- And it came to pass, that when the evil spirit of God was upon Saul, that David took an harp, and played with his hand; so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him.
- The original name of Apostle Paul in the New Testament.
- A male given name.
original name of Paul
- Cantonese: 掃羅, 扫罗 (sou3 lo4), 掃祿, 扫禄 (sou3 luk6) (Catholic)
- Mandarin: 掃羅 (zh), 扫罗 (zh) (Sǎoluó), 掃祿, 扫禄 (Sǎolù) (Catholic)
- Min Nan: 掃羅, 扫罗 (Sò-lô, Sàu-lô)
- Czech: Saul m, Šaul m, Šavel m
- Danish: Saulus
- Dutch: Saulus, Saul
- Esperanto: Saŭlo
- Finnish: Saul
- French: Saul
- German: Saulus
- alternate form of sawol