User:Dan Polansky/Roget/693 direction
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- direction ● management, managery[obs3] ● government, gubernation[obs3], conduct, legislation, regulation, guidance ● bossism [U.S.] ● legislature ● steerage, pilotage ● reins, reins of government ● helm, rudder, needle, compass ● guiding star, load star, lode star, pole star ● cynosure.
- supervision, superintendence ● surveillance, oversight ● eye of the master ● control, charge ● board of control &c. (council) 696 ● command &c. (authority) 737.
- premiership, senatorship ● director &c. 694 ● chair, portfolio.
- statesmanship ● statecraft, kingcraft[obs3], queencraft[obs3].
- ministry, ministration ● administration ● stewardship, proctorship[obs3] ● agency.
- [person who directs] director &c. 694.
- direct, manage, govern, conduct ● order, prescribe, cut out work for ● bead, lead ● lead the way, show the way ● take the lead, lead on ● regulate, guide, steer, pilot ● tackle
- [intransitive] take the helm, be at the helm ● have the reins, handle the reins, hold the reins, take the reins ● drive, tool.
- superintend, supervise ● overlook, control, keep in order, look after, see to, legislate for ● administer, ministrate[obs3] ● matronize[obs3] ● have the care of, have the charge of ● be in charge of, have charge of, take the direction ● boss, boss one around ● pull the strings, pull the wires ● rule &c. (command) 737 ● have the direction, hold office, hold the portfolio ● preside, preside at the board ● take the chair, occupy the chair, be in the chair ● pull the stroke oar.
- “direction” in Roget's Thesaurus, T. Y. Crowell Co., 1911.