Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic) Based on what is said or stated by; on the authority of.
- According to the directions, the glue takes 24 hours to dry.
- In a manner conforming or corresponding to; in proportion
- Depending on.
Usage notes 
- According to is shown as a preposition in all four American unabridged dictionaries MW3, RHU, Encarta, and AHD.
- The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language (CGEL) classifies according as a preposition with to phrase as its complement, noting that the meaning when used as a preposition differs from the meaning of the "-ing" form of the verb accord.
Derived terms 
based on statement
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.