Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
aspis (plural aspides)
- A type of round shield borne by ancient Greek soldiers
1963, William Kurtz Wimsatt, What to Say About a Poem and Other Essays, page 39:
- "shield both large and tough" has never said that aspides are small and weak […]
- (archaic) An asp or generic venomous snake
1588, Robert Greene, “The History of Dorastus and Fawnia”, in Pandosto: The Triumph of Time, published 1907:
- Flesh dipped in the sea Ægeum will never be sweet; the herb Trigion being once bit with an aspis never groweth, and conscience once stained with innocent blood is always tied to a guilty remorse.
- (palynology) A prominent ring of thickened exine around a pore on a pollen grain
1974, Eugene Cecil Ogden, Manual for Sampling Airborne Pollen, ISBN 0028498208, page 128:
- As might be expected, characters of the aspides themselves are not of much value in pollen identification, but they are easily recognized and many three-pored, aspidate grains are broadly categorized as "betuloid" in studies of airborne pollen.
- plural form of