Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /əˌsəʊʃiˈeɪʃən/, /əˌsəʊsiˈeɪʃən/
- (General American) IPA(key): /əˌsoʊʃiˈeɪʃən/, /əˌsəʊsiˈeɪʃən/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
association (plural associations)
- The act of associating.
- The state of being associated; a connection to or an affiliation with something.
2012 March-April, Jan Sapp, “Race Finished”, American Scientist, volume 100, number 2, page 164:
- Few concepts are as emotionally charged as that of race. The word conjures up a mixture of associations—culture, ethnicity, genetics, subjugation, exclusion and persecution. But is the tragic history of efforts to define groups of people by race really a matter of the misuse of science, the abuse of a valid biological concept?
- (statistics) Any relationship between two measured quantities that renders them statistically dependent (but not necessarily causal or a correlation).
- A group of persons associated for a common purpose; an organization; society.
act of associating
state of being associated; connection to or an affiliation with something
group of persons associated for a common purpose
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
association f (plural associations)
- association, society, group
- (commercial, economic) partnership
- association (of related terms, ideas etc.), combination