Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ædə(r)
bladder (plural bladders)
- (zoology) A flexible sac that can expand and contract and that holds liquids or gases.
- (anatomy) Specifically, the urinary bladder.
- (botany) A hollow, inflatable organ of a plant.
- The inflatable bag inside various balls used in sports, such as footballs and rugby balls.
- A sealed plastic bag that contains wine and is usually packaged in a cask.
- (figuratively) Anything inflated, empty, or unsound.
- to swim with bladders of philosophy
flexible sac in zoology
urinary bladder — see urinary bladder
hollow inflatable organ in botany
inflatable bag inside a ball
- air bladder
- gall bladder
- gas bladder
- shy bladder
- swim bladder
- urinary bladder
- To swell out like a bladder with air; to inflate.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of G. Fletcher to this entry?)
- (transitive) To store or put up in bladders.
- bladdered lard
- blister, particularly of paint