Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Relying upon; depending upon.
2013 June 7, Joseph Stiglitz, “Globalisation is about taxes too”, The Guardian Weekly, volume 188, number 26, page 19:
- It is time the international community faced the reality: we have an unmanageable, unfair, distortionary global tax regime. […] It is the starving of the public sector which has been pivotal in America no longer being the land of opportunity – with a child's life prospects more dependent on the income and education of its parents than in other advanced countries.
- At that point I was dependent on financial aid for my tuition.
- (of Scottish Gaelic, Manx and Irish verb forms) Used in questions, negative sentences and after certain particles and prepositions.
- (medicine) Affecting the lower part of the body, such as the legs while standing up, or the back while supine.
- Hanging down.
- a dependent bough or leaf
relying upon; depending upon
dependent (plural dependents)
- (US) One who relies on another for support
- With two children and an ailing mother, she had three dependents in all ... (In British English, this meaning is spelt dependant.)
- (grammar) An element in phrase or clause structure that is not the head. Includes complements, modifiers and determiners.
- (grammar) The aorist subjunctive or subjunctive perfective: a form of a verb not used independently but preceded by a particle to form the negative or a tense form. Found in Greek and in the Gaelic languages.
one who relies on another for support
dependent m (plural dependenc)
- third-person plural present active indicative of
dependent m, n