Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: During
From Middle English during, durynge, durinde, durand, durende, present participle of Middle English duren (“to last”), from Old French durer, from Latin durare. Equivalent to dure + -ing. More at dure.
- (RP) IPA(key): /ˈdjʊəɹɪŋ/
- (GenAm) IPA(key): /ˈdʊəɹɪŋ/, /ˈdʒʊəɹɪŋ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ʊərɪŋ
- Hyphenation: dur‧ing
- For all of a given time interval.
- I lived with my parents during the 1970s.
- The shop was one of the few able to stay open during the war.
- 1661, John Fell, The Life of the most learned, reverend and pious Dr. H. Hammond
- During the whole time of his abode in the university he generally spent thirteen hours of the day in study; by which assiduity besides an exact dispatch of the whole course of philosophy, he read over in a manner all classic authors that are extant […]
- 2013 May-June, Katrina G. Claw, “Rapid Evolution in Eggs and Sperm”, American Scientist, volume 101, number 3:
- Many genes with reproductive roles also have antibacterial and immune functions, which indicate that the threat of microbial attack on the sperm or egg may be a major influence on rapid evolution during reproduction.
- At any time or period within a given time interval.
- I lived with my parents at several points during the 1980s.
- Many of the best examples were produced during the Restoration.
- 1913, Joseph C. Lincoln, chapter 4, Mr. Pratt's Patients:
- I told him about everything I could think of; and what I couldn't think of he did. He asked about six questions during my yarn, but every question had a point to it. At the end he bowed and thanked me once more. As a thanker he was main-truck high; I never see anybody so polite.
for all of a given time interval
within a given time interval
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- Present participle of dure.