Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From Old Norse flengja
fling (plural flings)
- Short, often sexual relationship.
- I had a fling with a girl I met on holiday.
- An act of unrestrained indulgence.
- An act of throwing, often violently.
- An act of moving the limbs or body with violent movements, especially in a dance.
- (figuratively) An attempt, a try (as in "give it a fling").
short sexual relationship
- To throw with violence or quick movement; to hurl.
- 2011, Tom Fordyce, Rugby World Cup 2011: England 12-19 France 
- Wilkinson was struggling, sending the re-start straight into touch and flinging a pass the same way, and France then went close to the first try of the contest as Clerc took a long pass out on the left and was just bundled into touch by the corner flag.
- 2011, Tom Fordyce, Rugby World Cup 2011: England 12-19 France