Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (transitive) To bring light to something, to brighten.
- (intransitive) To become light, to brighten.
- He saw Mary and his face lit up.
- 2009, President Nixon's Pilot, Jim Bell, in The Propinquity Effect (ISBN 1467870803):
- When we cranked up the engine, the fire warning light lit up.
- (intransitive) To light a cigarette, pipe, etc.
- Smoking in this building is not allowed, so I always step outside to light up.
- (transitive) To make happy.
- (transitive, slang) To open fire on a target or group of targets.
to bring light to something
to become light