Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -əʊd
node (plural nodes)
- A knot, knob, protuberance or swelling.
- (astronomy) The point where the orbit of a planet, as viewed from the Sun, intersects the ecliptic. The ascending and descending nodes refer respectively to the points where the planet moves from S to N and N to S. The respective symbols are ☊ and ☋.
- (botany) A stem node.
- (computer networking) A computer or other device attached to a network.
- (computing theory) A vertex or a leaf in a graph of a network, or other element in a data structure.
- (engineering) The point at which the lines of a funicular machine meet from different angular directions; -- called also knot.
- (geometry) The point at which a curve crosses itself, being a double point of the curve. See Crunode, and Acnode.
- (graph theory) A vertex of a graph.
- (medicine) A hard concretion or incrustation which forms upon bones attacked with rheumatism, gout, or syphilis; sometimes also, a swelling in the neighborhood of a joint.
- (music) One of the fixed points of a sonorous string, when it vibrates by aliquot parts, and produces the harmonic tones; nodal line or point.
- (rare) The knot, intrigue, or plot of a piece.
- (technical) A hole in the gnomon of a sundial, through which passes the ray of light which marks the hour of the day, the parallels of the Sun's declination, his place in the ecliptic, etc.
where the orbit of a planet intersects the ecliptic
joint of a plant stem
vertex of a graph
- rōmaji reading of