Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈnjuː.kli.əs/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈnuːkliəs/
Audio (US) (file)
- The core, central part (of something), round which others are assembled.
- An initial part or version that will receive additions.
- This collection will form the nucleus of a new library.
- (chemistry, physics) The massive, positively charged central part of an atom, made up of protons and neutrons.
- (cytology) A large organelle found in cells which contains genetic material.
- (neuroanatomy) A ganglion, cluster of many neuronal bodies where synapsing occurs.
- (linguistics) The central part of a syllable, most commonly a vowel.
core, central part of something
initial part which will receive additions
physics: massive, positively charged core of an atom
cytology: large organelle found in cells
neuroanatomy: cluster of many neuronal bodies
linguistics: centre of a syllable
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
A diminutive of nux (“nut”).